The Center for Health Design (CHD) was formed in 1993 by a small cadre of pioneering healthcare and design professionals committed to advancing a singular idea – that design could be used to improve patient outcomes in healthcare environments. Our passion proved contagious. Today, we’re a far-reaching, international community leading the effort to improve the quality of healthcare facilities worldwide, as well as environments for healthy aging.
CHD's mission is to transform healthcare environments for a healthier, safer world through design research, education, and advocacy.
Our forward-thinking members, partners and volunteers come from many fields including healthcare, elder care, architecture, interior design, construction, product design, product manufacturing, education and NGOs.
Our culture embodies collaboration and respect. We believe in:
- Building enduring relationships with organizations and individuals who value evidence-based design
- Practicing what we teach
- Providing excellent client service
- Caring about each other and respecting everyone’s contributions
- Sharing knowledge and information widely and quickly
- Celebrating our successes and giving praise where praise is due