The course provides insight into four equations to consider when designing a successful healthcare solution:
- Dignity + Respect = Humanity Illustrating the components that support humanistic, inclusive, and progressive designs for healthcare settings. Whether spaces are for children, young adults, middle age folks, or older adults, every design has an opportunity to be supportive to a patient, which results in positive outcomes.
- Convenience + Interaction = Relationship Diving into the changes within the U.S. healthcare system and technology that are influencing a shift in the design of hospitals, outpatient, and long-term care settings. We will reference the Facility Guidelines Institute’s publications on these settings.
- Universal Design + Service Access = All-Inclusive Community Addressing design for all people. This is defined as a “process” that addresses physical space as well as access to socialization, services, and amenities.
- Wisdom + Youth = Collaboration Bringing about the best solution for healthcare design projects by addressing the need for collaboration of all ages. We will challenge the audience to define their own additional equations and be a leader to support person-centered care.
- When designing, there are many equations that can be used, and focusing on one is not enough. Successfully identifying the appropriate equations will leverage thought leadership, foster collaboration, and lead design to provide a patient-centric environment that is supportive of all physical, social, and emotional preferences.
- Understand the significance of various ages utilizing healthcare environments.
- Understand programming from a human interaction perspective.
- Understand the utilization of Universal Design as an all-inclusive process.
- Through case studies, understand the need for community integration as part of healthcare design successes.
This course is presented through various National Office Furniture events.