Recognizing innovative, life-enhancing design that contributes to the quality of health and healthcare.
The Center for Health Design, in partnership with Healthcare Design magazine, is hosting the 2021 Healthcare Environment Awards.
Design can improve safety.
Design can enhance experiences.
Design can increase organizational efficiency.
Design can improve any number of outcomes. Tell us about yours.
The Center for Health Design. Moving healthcare forward.
Click here to submit your project(s)
Acute (Inpatient) Care Facilities
Ambulatory (Outpatient) Care Facilities
Long-Term Care/Assisted Living Facilities
Student Design Work
*There is an interest in specialties such as Health & Fitness Wellness Facilities, Landscape Design, Behavioral Health, Pediatrics, Health and Education, Technology and Telehealth, Healthcare at Home, Community Health Centers, etc.
- Professional entries of built work must be interiors that are fully operational no earlier than September 1, 2019, and no later than July 1, 2021.
- Conceptual entries must have been completed in either 2020 or 2021.
- Student entries must have been completed in either the 2019-20 or 2020-21 school years.
- If your project fits the eligibility requirements above and has previously been submitted for the Healthcare Environment Award but was not an award recipient, you may reapply. However, we encourage you to give a careful eye to the application questions and consider how your responses may be more descriptive of your project and the process used.
- Firms may enter multiple projects within the same year. The projects can be in the same category.
- Entries must be blinded – remove all mention of firm/university/organization and individuals within the narrative; no logos are to be included on images.
- Professional entries of built completed work must include a minimum of six and maximum of 10 images, including a minimum of one floor plan, all submitted in .jpg format.
- Conceptual and student entries must include a maximum of 10 .jpg images of renderings or photographs of models.
- Submission Fees:
- Professional built and conceptual entries: $350
- Affiliate+ and Corporate Affiliate member entries = $300
- Student entries: $40
- Deadline to submit: July 16, 2021 by 12:00AM Pacific
- The decisions of the judges is final. The judges reserve the right to make no award.
- You are encouraged to write a narrative with the input of the interdisciplinary team.
- For the purpose of this award’s goals, stock “marketing” language typically used in promotional materials is usually not the best way to communicate complex and nuanced strategies that have been considered and weighed against other options.
Healthcare Design Conference 2021
- Winners will be announced at The Center for Health Design’s awards presentation during the 2021 Healthcare Design Expo & Conference.
- Winners should plan to assemble two presentation boards of projects for display at the Conference. Additional details will be provided after awards are determined.
- Winners receive one complimentary registration to Healthcare Design Conference.
- One crystal award will be presented to each winning project.
- Winning projects will be featured in an issue of Healthcare Design magazine and on The Center for Health Design’s website.
- Winning projects may also be featured in a Center for Health Design awards booklet and/or webinar.
2019 Award Winners
2018 Healthcare Environment Award winners below:
- Social Innovation winner: True Worth Place
- Long Term Care winner: The Burnham Family Memory Care Residence at Avery Heights
- Conceptual Design winner: Little Fork Family Advocacy Center
- Landscape Design winner: Sensory Arts Garden at the Els Center of Excellence
- Ambulatory Care Facilities winner: Asplundh Cancer Pavilion
- Acute Care Facilities winner: CentraCare Health–Long Prairie
- Student winner: Bhaswati Mukherjee, Mohammed Alsinan, and Shummer Roddick
- Health & Fitness Wellness Facilities winner: Maryland Heights Community Center
- The 2018 Honorable Mentions can be found here.