About the Award
Since 2009, over 2800 individuals have obtained certification through the EDAC (Evidence-Based Design Accreditation and Certification) program. These individuals and their colleagues have used the EBD process in projects worldwide to improve healthcare.The Evidence-Based Design Touchstone Award recognizes the use of an evidence-based design (EBD) process in the pursuit of:
- increasing value for patients, families, staff, and healthcare organizations,
- improving outcomes (health,, staff and patient satisfaction, productivity, safety, and quality)
- engaging everyone affected in a healthcare design project (patients, families, communities, staff, clinicians,executives, etc.).
The Center for Health Design created The Evidence-Based Design Touchstone Award to recognize projects that demonstrate exemplary achievement across three touchstones of the EBD process: collaboration, evaluation, and sharing.
Award Criteria and Award Levels
Submissions are scored based upon their success in achieving criteria in the three categories:
Collaborate: Submissions must demonstrate interdisciplinary team and stakeholder education, engagement and development.
Evaluate: Submissions must demonstrate the extent to which evidence was found, evaluated, and applied to develop and link design strategies to outcomes and how the project/product measured and evaluated the results and outcomes.
Share: Submissions must demonstrate how the EBD process was applied and how the knowledge gained was documented and disseminated and how lessons learned were shared and could have potential application for future projects.
There are three award levels: Silver, Gold, and Platinum and will be determined based upon successful achievement of the criteria within each category (Collaborate, Evaluate, and Share) applicants will only be awarded the Gold or Platinum Level if they have also met the majority of the criteria in the preceding levels (See Figure A). A Platinum Award demonstrates the highest achievement and application of the EBD process. Projects that are solely conceptual, or are not yet built, will also be considered for an award. These projects will qualify for the Silver or Gold level. Projects must be built in order for them to be considered for a Platinum award.
Why Should My Team Apply?
- Like the adoption of evidence in medical practice, the choice to use evidence and research in the design and construction of your project demonstrates your organization’s thoughtful commitment to the highest standards and a desire to make a difference for those who have entrusted you with their care.
- You have created a distinction of difference. The Touchstone Award distinguishes your healthcare project as a stellar example of design executed with the intention to improve the patient, family, and staff experience, health outcomes, and the overall value for all stakeholders and the organization.
- You will showcase your innovative design solutions, build momentum for future projects, and deepen relationships through the celebration of your collaborative and impactful work.
- You will advance the industry’s knowledge by sharing your EBD journey and lessons learned to create an environment that will improve healthcare outcomes.
The application fee is $1199 per project.
An expert review panel consisting of key industry stakeholders — Academics, Architects, Designers, Healthcare Executives, Planners, Facility Executives, Patient and Family Advisors, Researchers — has been engaged by The Center, who will manage the process and ensure blind entry judging. If any juror has participated in any of the submitted projects, he or she will not participate in judging for that project. In all cases, basic project information will be blinded from all jurors.
Award Announcement and Promotion
The application process will open.
May 21, 2021
Application Form Closes: Submissions received by this date will be reviewed by jurors. Applicants who would like to be considered for an award that will be given at the 2021 Healthcare Design Expo & Conference should apply by this date.
June 11, 2021
The Center completes vetting for all applications. Approved applications will be forwarded to the jury for review.
July 7, 2021
Jurors complete their review for all applications.
August 4, 2021
The Center completes aggregate of jury scores.
August 18, 2021
Applicants will be informed of the final results.
Award recipients will be announced and celebrated each year at the Healthcare Design Expo & Conference (October), in press releases, through multiple e-communications with The Center’s membership, and on The Center’s website. Additional promotional opportunities for teams and individuals are available.
Learn more about award recognition opportunities here.
Follow these steps to apply:
- Download the Application Information Packet to view the application questions and read in detail about the award criteria, scoring, instructions, and more.
- Document your answers to the application questions in a word document. (Questions can be found starting on page 7 of the application information packet).
- Download and complete the Interdisciplinary Team & Roles Chart. This must be uploaded in the application.
- Download and complete the Stakeholder Contribution Chart. This must be uploaded in the application.
- Download and complete the Photo Release Form if you will be uploading images to your application. You will be asked at the end of the application to upload a completed release form.
- Complete the purchase of the EBD Touchstone Awards Application Fee for access to the online application.
- After paying the fee, you will receive a link to the online application. Copy and paste your answers from your word document into the online application.